In recent times a study reveals more and more women are getting breast implants than ever before. After noticing the rising trends of breast implants surgeries on Friday France and Britain has issued conflicting advice to tens of thousands of women who got breast implants made of inexpensive industrial silicone as they have some health risks.
The French governments recommend 30,000 women in France to go for the implants removal which were made by now-defunct French company Poly Implant Prothese (PIP), because of the risk they could rupture and cause inflammation and irritation. But till now no evidence has been found of any increased risk of cancer.
But in Britain, where nearly 30,000 to 40,000 women are affected, Chief Medical Officer Dame Sally Davies advised: “Women with PIP implants should not be unduly worried. We have no evidence of a connection to cancer or a greater risk of rupture. If women are anxious they should speak to their surgeon.”
Instead of suggesting removal of implants Sally says, removing implants “carries risks in itself”.
But another British woman named Pat Demetriou had faulty PIP implants removed last year in 2010. She suggests, “I do think that every woman who has these implants should go and get checked … It’s better to have them replaced than to worry about them rupturing.”
While two countries have shown diverse responses regarding PIP implants removal Nigel Mercer of the British Association of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons believes the French move was “certainly not unreasonable” though British cosmetic surgeon Kevin Hancock said the conflicting government responses may cause confusion for British women.
However, PIP recognized that its products were faulty but company’s lawyer said made an argument saying that it is being unjustifiably singled out.
“The implants had flaws but the PIP implants are not the only ones on the market that had problems,” lawyer Yves Haddad told Reuters. “The reality is that everyone who makes implants has a percentage of failures.”